Elsevier Editorial System
Elsevier Editorial System (EES) is the web based software for Elsevier journals to manage the editorial process.
EES services authors, editors and reviewers and supports the full editorial process:
- Online submission of research papers and other manuscripts
- Management of the editorial process:
- Assignment of handling editors
- Invitation and management of reviewers
- Refereeing of manuscripts
- Decision making on manuscripts
Some key figures:
- 1900 journals use EES
- EES has 3.2 million active end users per year
- Authors submit 100,000 new manuscripts per month via EES
- EES is fast, robust and available 24/7 year around
News and updates
Introduction Article Transfer Service
Our latest improvement to the manuscript submission process is the complimentary fully automated Article Transfer Service (ATS) – a service designed to save authors valuable time and effort when submitting to our journals. More on ATS...
Introduction Consolidated User Accounts
Elsevier has introduced the single username and password across all EES journal websites. Users can log into all the EES websites they are registered with using the single username and password of the consolidated 'parent' account. To use the consolidated account, users must first add their existing accounts to the new consolidated account.
New features of consolidated user accounts
- The user's primary e-mail address is his or her username
- Users' personal information in EES is standardized across all their journal accounts, to ensure that the same information is available across all their journals.
- The user account owner is responsible for updating his or her personal information. The editorial office or editor can view the personal information, but can no longer change it. If information is incorrect the editor can send an e-mail message to the user as a reminder to update the personal information.
- The user must answer a personally selected security question in EES. If (s)he has forgotten his or her password (s)he will be prompted to answer the security question and answer. If the answer is correct, the user will receive an e-mail message that contains a link to reset the password.
If an editor or the editorial office proxy-registers a user, the user will be informed automatically. The editor or editorial office cannot cancel the notification message.
Elsevier introduces the new Support Hub for EES.
Aside from generic support information, EES support pages are no longer distributed over the Elsevier.com, but presented in EES itself. This means that when you click on 'Help' in EES, the Support Hub opens. When using the Support Hub you will be able to quickly access the right support content that you need. The content is presented per role and per phase in the editorial process to make it easier for you to find the information that you require. The Support Hub also has a sophisticated search function.
Furthermore Elsevier is expanding the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to include FAQs in French, Spanish and Italian.
If you need assistance using EES you can consult the support pages or contact customer services.
On the support pages you will also find online tutorials.
Customer Services is available 24 hours per day, all year around.
- E-mail and chat support are available 24/7
- Telephone support is available 24/5
EES for Reviewers
Via EES you have access to the tools to effectively and efficiently review manuscripts.
Access to Scopus and ScienceDirect
- Access the largest abstract and citation database Scopus 30-days for free to help facilitate your review. You can also read all abstracts of the articles referenced in the paper under review.
- Access the full text of articles in Elsevier publications in Science Direct, via Scopus for the same 30-day period.
Manage your review
- Check the deadline for your review and track the status of your submitted review.
- View your automatically stored correspondence and data for each submission electronically without having to keep paper files anymore.
How to access EES to review a paper
You can directly access EES using the links in the message Invitation to review that you received. If you don't have this message please follow the steps below:
- Go to the journal homepage of the journal directly or via the Journal Finder
- Scroll to the footer of the journal homepage
- Click on Login as Reviewer to login into EES
- In EES click on New Reviewer Invitations to see the submission
- Click on Action Links and Agree to Review to accept the invitation
- Go to the Pending Assignments folder in the Main Menu
- Click Action Links and Submit Recommendation to submit your review.
You can preview the submission before agreeing to review.
Instruction video for reviewers
Take a look at our 2,5 minute instruction video.at the Elsevier Trainingdesk to watch how to submit your review in EES.
You are also more than welcome to suggest more reviewer or editor topics for live webinars. Please send your suggestions to the Trainingdesk.
EES for Editors
Benefits of EES
- Efficiently manage the peer-review process
- Access the full text of articles in Elsevier publications in Science Direct, via Scopus
- Identify potential authors and editorial board members via Scopus
- View your automatically stored correspondence and data for each submission without having to keep paper files
- Use the EES Reviewer Database or Scopus to find referees
- Invite reviewers to referee and send reminders with customizable email correspondence
- Link to reviewers' published work and citation histories, see who their co-authors are and set up citation alerts
- Use topical classification of reviewers' specialties to suggest reviewers for particular papers
- EES contains many standard reports that inform you on the status of your journal including a late reviewers report highlighting the reviewers who have not yet responded
- Upon request custom reports can be configured
- Some Editors of Elsevier journals obtain online information on the status of all their journal's manuscripts currently in production at Elsevier through a tool called OASIS. More about OASIS...
- Design and configure EES specifically to fit the workflow of your editorial office
- Provide journal-specific instructions for authors and reviewers
Elsevier offers you the EES editor training. Please contact your publisher to schedule training from one of our experienced EES Trainers.
EES Introduction Videos
Below you find short instruction videos and interactive tutorials to become familiar with the key tasks you will perform as an editor.
New Submissions (1 minute) - Learn how to view new submissions for your journal.
Assign Editor (1 minute) - Watch how to assign a handling editor on to a submission.
Find Reviewers by Classification (1.5 minutes) - View how to find reviewers by classifications.
Find Reviewers via Scopus (5 minutes) - Watch how to use Scopus to find reviewers.
Invite Reviewers (3 minutes) - Learn how to invite reviewers and select alternates.
Send Reviewer Reminders (1 minute) - View how to send reminders to late or unresponsive reviewers.
Decision (4 minutes) - Watch how to register your editorial decision on a manuscript.
New Submissions - View new submissions and check the submissions' details.
Assign Editor - Assign a new submission to another editor.
Find Reviewers by Classifications - Find suitable reviewers by classification matches.
Find Reviewers via Scopus - Find suitable reviewers by searching in Scopus.
Invite Reviewers - Invite reviewers and select alternate reviewers as backup.
Send Reviewer Reminders - Send reminders to reviewers who are unresponsive or late submitting their comments.
Decision - Register your decision on a submission and notify the authors.
EES for Authors
Submit your manuscript
EES guides you through the necessary steps to submit your paper.
- Submit your manuscript
- Receive feedback from the reviewers on your paper
- Submit your revisions and comments to the reviewers
- Check the status of your manuscript in EES after submission.
- Receive notifications by e-mail when the status of your manuscript changes or when you need to act.
How to access EES to submit your paper
- Go to the journal home page of the journal directly or via the Journal Finder
- Consult the Guide for Authors for the submission instructions
- Click on Submit your paper
- Register and / or login in the EES website of the journal
- Click on the Submit New Manuscript link to start the submission process
The editorial process varies between journals. Use the Guide for Authors of the journal to prepare and submit your paper to your journal of choice.
Article Transfer Service
Several Elsevier journals operate a complimentary Article Transfer Service. The editor will offer this service to you if they feel your paper is of better fit in another Elsevier journal. Your submission will be transferred to another journal upon your approval. More on the Article Transfer Service...